Thursday 5 February 2009

Final days as a one-child family




I'm realizing in a mere 36 hours we will no longer be a family of three. I would like to take a moment to brainstorm a list of some of the funny things Kaj has been doing lately before I become a distracted mother of two!
  1. In the last couple of days, Kaj has been saying, " Kaj have an idea for mommy" or "Kaj have a question for mommy" many times a day. When I follow up, he either makes a suggestion about an activity that would be fun for him, like read a book or go to the playground OR says, "I not know!"
  2. Kaj has become a lot more physically independent lately, which has been with intention on our end. He is now a pro at climbing into his car seat by himself and he goes up and down stairs without my worrying about a big fall. When we're out and about and he wants to be carried, he knows to ask dad. I can still carry him a bit myself, but I've been trying to let go so he knows what to expect when I'm recovering from the C-section. Thankfully this new independence has come with a daddy's best phase (at least 50% of the time), which is a good thing for all of us!
  3. Kaj's become a champ at identifying a number of famous musical works by tune. This has a lot to do with a few favorite books, like Beethoven's Wig(5th Symphony), The Nutcracker, and Peter and the Wolf and his nighttime music that he listens to as he falls asleep. After humming a few measures of the opening themes, he will tell us the composers' names, which come out sounding like Bay-oh-ven, Chai-kah-ski, and Poh-koh-viv. This has become our fun game when we're driving in the car. 
  4. Kaj's coming right along with counting and the ABC's, but he's really surprised us with how quickly he has picked up identifying colors. A favorite game - What color is that taxi? You must think we spend hours in the car, but any distraction helps on our drives downtown!
  5. Kaj likes to be "Dr. Kaj" and listen to mommy and the baby's heartbeats using a little contraption we've had since we were pregnant with him. He also likes to tickle baby brother and then hold his ear up to listen for a laugh. 
  6. This photo is from yesterday when after his nap he asked for me to put his stuffed animals in his crib to create "Kaj's Zoo." When I asked which ones, he yelled, "ALL them animals, mommy!" He's an animal nut, and he will soon find out that baby brother will be giving him a stuffed proboscis monkey on Saturday. I think he will find it terribly entertaining. All for now..

No comments: